- Loans & Lines
- Credit Card
- Debit Cards
- Online & Mobile Banking
- Additional Services
WE'RE ALWAYS OPEN
Call toll-free, 24x7
Standard Overdraft Practices
Learn about overdrafts and services to help you manage your accounts.
What are the standard overdraft practices that come with Bank of Hawaii accounts?
We may authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions.
- Checks and other transactions made using your checking account number
- Automatic bill payments
We do not authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transaction unless preauthorized to do so using Debit Card Overdraft Coverage. For more information about this service, visit Debit Card Overdraft Coverage.
- ATM transactions
- Everyday (or one-time) debit card transactions
IMPORTANT: We pay overdrafts at our discretion, which means we do not guarantee that we will always authorize and pay any type of transaction. If we do not authorize and pay an overdraft, your transaction will be declined.
What fees will be charged if Bank of Hawaii pays an overdraft?
Here are the details of how overdraft fees are assessed under our standard overdraft practices:
- Fee: A Non-Sufficient Funds Fee (“NSF Fee”) of $28 will be charged when an item that exceeds your available balance is paid or returned.
- Daily Fee Limit: You will not be charged more than three (3) NSF Fees in any one (1) Business Day.
- Note: You will not be charged an NSF Fee on any Business Day that your end of day Available Balance is or would have been overdrawn by $4.99 or less. In addition, no NSF Fee will be charged if the Item causing or increasing the overdrawn amount is $2.49 or less.